Monday, May 10, 2010

A Sequel, a “Reimagining” and a Few Questions

So I saw Iron Man 1 and 2 back to back this past Thursday. Was Iron Man 2 better than 1, well no, but it was a blast to watch and almost as good as the 1st one. I mean I know there are a handful of sequels that were better than the 1st one but hey what’s wrong with being as good as the 1st? Why do they need to top it?

No one in the nearly sold out 12am showing moaned or groaned during the movie. Hell they all clapped and I was sitting among my people, gaming and comic geeks! The guys behind me were discussing Nier before the previews we all busted on the First Look Sex In The City 2 and pondered just who the hell that was intended for because we sure as hell weren’t the target demo, but I digress.

So this was THE crowd to see it with. They are the ultimate critics and can in fact make or break a flick, I mean if the hardcore geeks don’t like it why would you?

Iron man 2 has the faults of all major comic book movie sequels they try to jam too many characters into the story, so you don’t really get a true sense for the character. Now if you saw Iron Man 1 then you know Pepper, Tony, and Rhodes and of course Nick Fury.

While I LOVE Scarlet Johansen and I mean love her so much I’d kill my family for her, she wasn’t really necessary but nice to ogle throughout the flick. Happy Hogan, John please stay out of your movies, you gave the limo driver way too much screen time. The villains were enjoyable, Mickey Rourke is great, but underutilized here due t all the characters needing screen time. His comes off as such a badass and we don’t ever really get to see it. The other villain was Justin Hammer. His psychopathic need to BE Tony Stark was great. Though I don’t remember him being such a putz in the comics.

Tony is his usual jackass self and because he is so self-centered he causes almost all his problems in the film. So while this isn’t Demon in a Bottle it sort of plays with that storyline and gives you a hint of it at Tony’s birthday party. But this movie was created for people who have seen the 1st one. If you haven’t you won’t feel lost but you’ll feel like you’ve missed something.

I do however HATE and I mean HAAAATE when you show scenes in the previews then cut them from the film. Pepper kissing the helmet not in the flick, Scarlet using the Iron Man repulsor … not in the movie. And with this crowd at the end of the flick a lot of them were wondering where those scenes were. So note to film makers KNOCK THAT SHIT OFF. Don’t show me chocolate cake and then when I order it serve me pudding!

Iron Man 2 is just a damn fun movie to watch I really liked it a ton and it was well worth the $10.50!

Now for a movie that really wasn’t worth the $8 I paid to see it as a matinee. Nightmare On Elm Street. Yes, yes I know you are thinking, “Jason really? Why would you see that you knew it was going to suck.” Well yes and no. See I go check out the “reimaginings” because well I can’t help myself, I love crappy horror films. Now it wasn’t total crap, the new Freddy is AWESOME. I hated him because he was such a nasty, filthy scum bag. And he loved being that way. That’s the kind of monster that scares, a killer that knows what he is, loves it and has no remorse for his deeds, in fact it’s the victims fault if there is anyone to blame. He made my skin crawl. The rest of the cast however, well live die no one cared and by no one I mean the craptacular actors in the film didn’t seem to care their friends got diced and the audience sure as hell didn’t care at all.

So was it as terrible as everyone claims, no, was it good, not really it was passable.

Now for my questions:

1. Why does a sequel need to be better?

2. Why do people bitch about a character not being like they were in the original in a reimagining? Isn’t that the point?

I say “no”. A sequel needs to be equal to the 1st one, it needs to move the story forward and FEEL like it’s a natural continuation of the 1st flick. You can’t continually recount everything from the 1st movie because that eats into sequel time. On all these counts Iron Man 2 is a true sequel and that’s why it’s a good flick and one you should go see, especially if you enjoyed the 1st one.

Now for the reimagining issues. Yes usually the character won’t be like the one you remember you know why? CAUSE WE’RE FREAKING OLD! A Nightmare on Elm Street first appeared in 1984 so that OVER 20 years ago, the people going to see it know WEREN’T EVEN BORN YET! So get over it. Ever watch something your parents LOVED and go sweet lord that was lame as hell? Well now you are part of that club, and so am I.

Yes they could have used better writing so you gave a damn about the kids getting killed but think back for a second did you really care about the kids back then or were you just wondering how they were going to get off’d? When you watched it a 2nd time then you cared about Nancy but really you just want to see the blood and boobs, it's a slasher flick, it's not made to impress you with story.

I’m not a huge fan of reimaginings but I always like to give them a shot you never know when you will be surprised. So far I haven’t been, I’ve been entertained but I have yet to walk out of anything that had to do with my childhood/teen years and be like “Hell yes that was 100 times better!” But I will still go and beat my head against that brick wall in the hopes one day I do. So when does Predators come out?

No comments:

Post a Comment