Friday, October 30, 2009

Ah Sweet Sweet Halloween!

This is second only to Christmas as my favorite holiday. I mean when else can you give candy to little kids and not end up having to register with the town due to Megan’s Law? Ok, ok I know a few of you are like “Dude that was soooooooo not right.” But think about it random kids, some with adults, some without, all showing up at your place to get candy I mean what pedo-bear can resist!

I have such fond memories of Halloween, all the candy. Well except that one year when the crap all started. You know the “good ol’days” when you could go out there with your friends and not worry about some scary dude kidnapping you or eating a wonderful apple only to find a razor blade in it, which is a HUGE urban legend. Those wonderful vinyl costumes that have now been deemed such a fire hazard they got banned. Ahhhhh memories! I wonder how close I came to becoming permanently fused with my Chewbacca costume I guess I’ll never really know.

I do remember my mom insisted on going through all the candy I got to make sure it was all wrapped properly and safe. Actually I think it was a ploy so she could select the candy she wanted before I went into a sugar induced craze.

So what the hell has happened? Where are all the ghoulies and beasties? Is it that we have more nutbags now or do we just have more news outlets reporting on them whipping people into a No Trick or Treat frenzy? When I lived on Long Island I lived right across from an elementary school. We lived there for over 5 years and never got a single trick or treater. Not one! Which was fine with me because then I got to eat all the candy I bought and wreck terrible vengeance on my co-workers as I entered that sweet, sweet sugar high.

Maybe parents either don’t want to send their kids out or just don’t have time to go out with their kids. Maybe you don’t know who your neighbors are so you don’t know who to trust. I’ve lived in my apartment complex going on three years now and I have no idea who my neighbors are at all.

It just breaks my heart to think of all those kids never getting to experience the joys of a pillow case full of candy, the mouthful of cavities, and the belly ache the next day and possible vomiting from over indulgence. They won’t get that thrill of ringing a doorbell and not knowing if they would get candy, get yelled at or get the shit scared out of them from a guy in a mask.

DAMN IT PEOPLE! It’s a right of passage! Don’t deny your munchkins those joys! Get out there, get them a costume, and give them a pillow case and let them stuff themselves like PiƱatas!

No comments:

Post a Comment